Sunday, July 26, 2009

Sunburn and Missing Car Keys

Yesterday morning, mom wakes me up at six, me and my sister get dressed, grab a bite to eat and head out the door. We arrive at our friend's house, load up in Sarah's car, and begin our adventure. which meant two hours of driving to a little pond in the middle of the desert. Well, actually, it IS the second largest lake in this state. We reach Ute Lake without miss-hap and spend a few happy hours hiking, not counting the time I lost my footing and my knee slammed into a cactus.

A little before noon, we head back to the car and drive around to the other site of the lake where we stripped down to our swimsuits, inflated the boat (which took about an hour to fill) and jump in the lake, get stuck in cat-tails, capsize our raft, and slowly and pitifully row to the island in the center of the lake. Once there, we fished for crawl fish and swam around in the shallow water. We also flipped the boat upside down and stretched out on the smooth surface. Bliss.

It wasn't until we got back to the car things started to go wrong. Sarah: "Rebekah, where are the keys?"

Rebekah: "I don't know, I thought you put them somewhere."

Sarah: "I did, they were in the bag attached the raft..."

Yeah, we lost the keys...in the middle of the lake. To make matters worse, I had left my cell phone at home and both Sarah's and Rebekah's cell phones were dead. Sarah and I walked to the ranger's station to find a phone and Rachel and Rebekah stayed with the car. The ranger said our story was the second best he's ever heard and gave us his phone. Sarah's parents weren't home. Her grandparents weren't home. We went back to the car and the ranger came by and hour later so we could try again and we finally managed to reach somebody. Nearly three hours later, Sarah's dad shows up with the extra keys and we head home.

It wasn't until I actually reached my own house that I realized how sun burned I was. Rachel looks even worse than I do, and today, we still feel pretty bad, but not as sore as yesterday.

So there you have it, another adventurous day in the life of me. P.S. This post probubly sucked cuz I'm writing it while I'm half asleep. I apologize.

No comments: