Monday, May 18, 2009

The Soldiers of Halla

I'm reading the tenth Pendragon book now and am enjoying it fully. I still think Bobby needs a lesson in not provoking the bad guy until he starts hitting you with an electrocuting wand, but what can I do? I'm just a reader. What I'm finding horrifying is that there are similarities between The soldiers of Halla and my own book, Starshard. it's not fair to say that I copied, because I've been working on this book since before I even started reading the Merchant of Death! needless to say, I feel irked, but I'm not about to change my plot line because I read something similar.

Now Christopher Paolini is a different matter...haven't you eve noticed the dozens of similarities between Eragon, Eldest and Brisinger? I found a blog post that points out how close these two stories are http://thewordcrafter.wordpress.com/2007/10/20/eragon-vs-star-wars/ I found it horrendusly funny, because of how true it is.

Back to Pendragon, I wasn't entirely shocked by Sant Dane's true motives once they were unmasked. I wasn't shocked about the truth about the Travelers either. and I wasn't shocked by the reappearance of one of the main characters. I didn't know exactly what was going on, but I sort of half guessed. I've read so much that it takes a lot to shock me. I can say this though, I love it when I'm right, and I HATE it when I'm right. And if this book ends the way I think it's going to end, I...will...go...insane!

2 comments:

Katie said...

*covers face* You're making me want to read it, Kye! Despite the fact that I'd have to read something like 2000 or more pages first, getting through the other nine.

Paolini's books are similar to a LOT of books. Dragonriders of Pern. Star Wars, like you said. LoTR.

Hannah said...

The books get better as they go along. if I didn't share a room with my sister, I would have screamed last night! my heart was thumping so hard! it took me forever to get to sleep.

there really isn't much in common with LOTR.